Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mother

It's been a good week.  Although language classes still continue to be a challenge in terms of listening and comprehending what my teachers say, I feel like I'm making progress.  This progress might not be in huge strides, but at least it's progress nonetheless.

Our language class has sort of become like a family.  Just within the course of these past four weeks, we've gotten to know each other pretty well from the intimate interaction we get in class.  Additionally, we spend a lot of time together outside of class and always enjoy each other's company.  I feel like my class at Sogang creates a really supportive atmosphere where learning becomes a group effort.  There are many times when I need help grasping a concept or word, and every time someone makes the effort to help me.  There is one girl, Yuki, who, if she can't get through to me through speaking, will full-on act out whatever it is she is trying to explain to me.  She goes all out in order for me to understand, and whether that means just talking with me or putting on a whole acting performance, she'll do it in order to enrich not only my learning but her own as well.  This is only one example of the ways in which I feel like our class supports one another.  This type of atmosphere is something that I haven't really felt as much at Yale.  Learning at Yale has been more of an individual pursuit.

This past Tuesday I was lucky enough to see another Korean movie titled "마더" ("Mother,"or maybe "Murder"?).  Sogang University actually sponsored the event, so we got to see the movie for free with dinner provided.  The movie was pretty intense, and revealed the depth and complexity of the relationship between mother and son in Korean life.  In the movie, after her son was convicted of a murder, the mother went to great lengths and did anything to clear her son's name, even if she had to commit murder herself.  It didn't matter whether or not her son was guilty of the crime;  the most important thing for the mother was saving face and protecting her son's public image.  This movie actually contrasted really nicely with the previous movie I saw, 거북이 달린다 (Turtle Running).  Instead of a mother defending her son, however, the main character in 거북이 달린다 was a father providing for and protecting his family.  Both mother and father in these two movies not only carried the responsibility of supporting their families, but also showed the importance of presenting a clean and good self-image which can often be based on top of a pile of lies and deception.  In the end, all that matters is what people think of you.  Interesting sort of love to give.

This past Friday, I met with my Korean language tutor for the second time.  His name is Kim Se-jung and he is a student at Sogang.  Coincidentally, he is majoring in history as am I, and is a really kind and helpful friend.  We met in a coffee shop on campus and went over a lot of the things I didn't understand in class.  During our session, I was reminded of the privilege of a Yale education.  Although Sogang University is among the top five colleges in South Korea, Se-jung conveyed his discontent with the campus' facilities and expressed an interest in visiting Yale.  I told him he was welcome anytime. 

On Saturday, I gave my first English tutor lessons to Hy and Jin-hee, who have both helped me immensely with my stay here in Korea thus far.  Because a knowledge of English is needed to serve their American and other Asian clients in the company they work at, they have embraced the opportunity to continue learning English.  I've found that you can actually learn a lot about the Korean language from teaching English.  I've also realized how much I don't know about the English language, as I find myself unable at times to explain why a certain thing is the way it is in English.  I really hope to help Hy and Jin-hee as best as I can.  They are good students, and I am grateful for all that they've done for me so far.

1 comment:

  1. "I've also realized how much I don't know about the English language, as I find myself unable at times to explain why a certain thing is the way it is in English."

    Great point. Some of my breakthrough moments learning Korean came when I stopped questioning why a grammar point works this way and not that way. What got me there? : Having Koreans ask me about English grammar only for me to realize a lot of what we think makes sense is actually pretty confusing! (...and I had an M.A. in English Lit.)

    ReplyDelete